Putting on the Ritz: How to Make Your Own Flapper Costume
There is no need to spend a lot of dough on your glad rags to make a splash at the next swanky shindig you attend with your fella. With just some basic supplies and a little bit of time you can make an outfit that is the bees knees!
[b]Supplies you will need:[/b]
– 1 Sleeveless Knee length Cocktail Dress of any color but Black, Red, and White are the best.
(Can be found at a thrift store or maybe your closet!)
– 6 Yards of Fringe, preferably 3-4 inches in length, in a color that matches the dress. (Found at your local craft store)
– 1 or Several Feathers (From a craft store)
– 1 Spool of Thread, in a coordinating color
– 1 Bottle of Kraft Glue
– 1 Elastic (Sequined) Headband or 1 Barrette
– 1 Package of Pins
– 1 Sewing Machine or 1 Needle
[b]Steps for the Dress:[/b]
[b]Step 1:[/b] Pin fringe onto dress, starting with just below the left armhole and even with the neckline and wrap around the front of the dress and to the back, pinning along the way.
[b]Step 2:[/b] After wrapping the fringe around the dress so that the end reaches the fringe pinned at the armhole, cut off excess and pin the end.
[b]Step 3:[/b] Sew the fringe onto the dress with a sewing machine, or by hand.
[b]Step 4:[/b] Starting 4 inches below where your first layer of fringe is sewn on, repeat steps 1-4 until you have filled the dress with fringe. (For a fast fix just put a layer of fringe on the top and the bottom of the dress)
[b]Steps for the Headband[/b]
[b]Step 1:[/b] Using the Kraft glue, attach the feathers to the headband. (In a pinch- just use a barrette to clip the feathers in).
[b]Accessorize your DIY Flapper costume with:[/b]
– Fishnet Stockings (Found at most party stores and lingerie departments)
– Black Mary-Janes or Pumps
– Long Strands of Pearls (Can be found at party stores and children’s accessory stores)
– Feather Boa in a coordinating color (Found in party and craft stores)
[b]Put on your face:[/b]
– Flappers loved to play up their features with makeup!
– Add some rosy pink to your cheeks with blush. Accent your eyes with black eyeliner, dark smoky purple eyeshadow and black mascara and if you have light eyebrows, pencil them in with dark eyeliner. Have fun with red or purple lipstick and lipliner applied in an exaggerated pout. For maximum affect use black eyeliner to pencil on a beauty mark above your lip.