How to make a Mickey Mouse costume?
Mickey Mouse was not the first character created by Walt Disney, but he was the first one to be created by him after he had left his first job. He was also the first character that Walt Disney owned the exclusive rights to. All that doesn’t really matter, though, because the important thing is that even today Mickey Mouse is the most recognizable and probably best-loved character in the Disney “_ìfamily”¬ù.
If your child wants to be Mickey Mouse for Halloween, but you don’t want to go to the expense of purchasing a ready-made costume, it’s easy to make one. Don’t worry if you don’t sew, because there is very little, if any, involved.
* A black long-sleeve body suit. You can substitute black tights OR black leggings and a black long-sleeve t-shirt. If you use leggings, you can either make sure the bottoms are long enough to be covered by the shoes, or you can put a pair of black nylon or other “_ìshiny material”¬ù socks under them.
* A pair of red shorts with an elastic waist. You want them to be a little large, because you want them to look baggy in the front.
* A pair of yellow shoes. High-top tennis shoes will work well, but regular sneakers will be fine, too.
* A pair of mouse ears. You can either buy a hat with the mouse ears on them, or a headband with the mouse ears. You can also make them, and I’ll include the instructions on how to do so.
* Two white buttons, face paint or make-up.
1. Take the red shorts, and sew the two white buttons, side by side, onto the front of the shorts, about one-half inch down from the waistband and about a half-inch apart.
2. Slip the black body suit, tights, or leggings and the black long-sleeved t-shirt on your child (or whoever is wearing the costume.)
3. Put the red shorts on your child (or whoever is wearing the costume), and measure about a half-inch from the bottom hem on each leg. Mark this spot.
4. Now, loosely tie a very thin piece of ribbon or string around the leg at the spot you have marked. Make sure it isn’t so tight that it cuts off the circulation, but that it is tight enough to hold the shorts leg securely.
5. Gently tug on the shorts material that is above the string until it drapes or “_ìblouses”¬ù over the string or ribbon.
6. If you are going to make the mouse ears, it’s very simple to do. Simply take two black socks, and stuff them with paper or other socks. Stuff them lightly enough so that the ears will be flatter in shape (like paddles) rather than resembling round balls. Secure them at the bottom with rubber bands or stitch the bottom closed. Then, either fasten them to a black headband or you can even take an old black ball cap, cut the bill off, and fasten them to that. Use hot glue or fabric glue to secure them.
7. Slip on the body suit, tights, or leggings and the black long-sleeved t-shirt first, then add the shorts. Put on the yellow tennis shoes and the white gloves.
8. If you wish, you can use white face paint or powder whiten the wearer’s complexion. Use make-up (such as liquid eyeliner or a dark eyeliner pencil) to exaggerate the smile lines. Use black face paint or black eye shadow to darken around the eyes (take care not to get face paint in the eyes, and use caution when applying the eye shadow. Use black face paint to darken the nose. You can even use bright-red lipstick or face paint to color about an inch of the bottom lip to complete the look.