How to Make a Bee Costume
Many of us do not like bees when we encounter them out near our flowers or buzzing around our heads, but they can be a really cute costume for you to make your child if you prefer not to buy a costume. The steps are pretty easy to follow to get a fuzzy little friend.
Things You Need:
– Pipe cleaners
– Black material
– Yellow material
– Bunting or cotton stuffing
– Black tights
– Black body suit
– Filmy material
Step One: The Under Bee
– To create your perfect Bee costume you need to have a full black body suit or a long sleeved shirt and tights. The choice will be yours and what you can find. There are some PJ’s that you can get that will work just as well. The under Bee is going to be all black so that you can fit your bee costume around it. You need to cover all of your skin below the neck. You might even want to have black gloves and shoes to top of the costume in the end.
Step Two: The Bee
– Now that you have step one completed, you need to create the actual bee. The yellow material can be cut into strips so that you have the upper body of the bee. If you have looked at a bee long enough you know that the back end is usually black, but from waist to neck is going to be the yellow and black stripes. The yellow material cut into stripes can then be sewed on to the body suit or top portion of the under costume. The stripes need to be evenly spaced.
– The second half of the bee will be a little interesting. You need to create the round end to the bee’s back. To do this you should create shorts out of the black material, but the butt should be rounded out in bee style. In this section you will place the cotton or bunting to get the back end of the bee to stand up. Remember to create a small hole at the very tip of the back. This will be for the pipe cleaner. The pipe cleaner can be used as the stinger on the bee.
Step Three: The Wings and Antenna
– A bee must be able to fly, so with the black filmy material and wire you are going to create bee wings. The wire will keep the wings taught and stable on the back. You can sew the wings on or have wire wrap around the front of the shoulders to keep them in place. A bee must be able to fly, so with the black filmy material and wire you are going to create bee wings. The wire will keep the wings taught and stable on the back. You can sew the wings on or have wire wrap around the front of the shoulders to keep them in place. You can create butterfly wings if you like.
– The next thing you will need to create is a head band with the pipe cleaners for the antenna on the bees head.
By following these steps you should have a pretty cool bee costume.